Finding a delicious vegetarian or vegan gravy can be a struggle, and many recipes are overly complicated and take up a lot of time that could be spent on entrees. Thankfully, this is a simple mushroom gravy recipe that almost anyone can whip up very quickly, and everyone at the table will be grabbing for it!
This delicious and savory mushroom gravy is great for meat dishes like chicken, ham, and turkey while also being the perfect option for Tofurky, mashed potatoes, and other vegetarian or vegan options that might be available during your holiday meals.
You can tailor this recipe to your taste as well; make it as thin or as thick as you like! If you add too much vegetable stock and it becomes too thin, gradually add cornstarch to thicken it up. If it’s too thick, add more vegetable stock to continue to thin it out until it’s just right. Section out a small amount of it and experiment with other herbs and spices if you want to tailor it more to your tastes. You can even make multiple batches with various degrees of thickness or different flavorings to ensure that there’s something at the table everyone will enjoy, and it’s so quick and easy!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped sage
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 6 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in the mushrooms and herbs, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in 2 cups of the vegetable stock, whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken.
- If the mixture is too thick, gradually add more vegetable stock.
- Taste and season if needed, then serve warm.
Design and Build Your Dream Home with Columbia Builders!
Columbia Builders is the home builder of choice in Howard County, offering homes in Ellicott City, Elkridge, Laurel, Columbia, Marriottsville, Fulton, Clarksville, Dayton, and Brookeville. No matter what the size and scope of your project, we have the skills, experience, and resources needed to bring your vision to life. We offer a level of customization that is truly unmatched and are committed to using materials and craftsmen of the highest quality, so you can trust that your new home is built to last. Columbia Builders was voted Best of Howard County 2020 for best home builder.
If you’re ready to invest in a home, built with your needs in mind, trust in us. Give Columbia Builders a call today at 410-730-0215 or use our contact form here. You can also keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, and YouTube, and don’t forget to check back on our blog for more tips and information!